Wednesday, December 7, 2016

A moving prayer-Anselm

"O God, I pray, let me know and love You, so that I may rejoice in You. And if I cannot in this life [know, love, and rejoice in You] fully, let me advance day by day until the point of fullness comes. Let knowledge of You progress in me here and be made full [in me] there. Let love for You grow in me here and be made full [in me] there, so that my joy may be great with expectancy while there being full in realization. O Lord, through Your Son You command--or rather, You counsel--us to ask; and through Him You promise that we shall receive, so that our joy may be made full. O Lord, I ask for what You counsel through our marvelous Counselor; may I receive what You promise through your Truth, so that my joy may be full. Until then, let my mind meditate upon [what you promised], let my tongue speak of it. Let my heart love it; let my mouth proclaim it. Let my soul hunger for it; let my flesh thirst for it; let my whole being desire it until such time as I enter into the joy of my Lord, the triune God, blessed forever. Amen."

(quoted via Gifted Response pp. 61-62)

No comments:

Post a Comment